Honestly, chickpeas are a superfood of their own. They are a super rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber, and are thought to help improve digestion. Also, these little cuties are high in protein and make an excellent, filling addition to any plant-based dish! What makes these tasty treats even more amazing is that they are super versatile so they can accompany a variety of dishes… and they are incredibly cost effective! Obviously I’m a big fan and love incorporating them into our meals.
Tonight I got a little adventurous and made a new dish! I was craving some sort of Asian inspired dish but I didn’t want to go out to the market (it’s cold + rainy here tonight!). I drew upon my knowledge of a previous dish I made with a similar sauce, and decided to give it a go with chickpeas. This is the result and let me tell ya… you’re going to want to save this one! My fiancé and I ate the whole dang dish!
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp natural maple syrup
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 tsp ground ginger
- 1.5 tsp cornstarch
🌱 Recommended: serve with basmati + quinoa blend and steamed broccoli
- Rinse and drain chickpeas, set aside
- Warm olive oil in your pan and saute the chopped garlic until it becomes fragrant
- Add sesame oil, coconut aminos, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and ginger – mix thoroughly on low-medium heat
- Mix in cornstarch until mixture smoothes out and becomes thick
- Add chickpeas and ensure that they are coated fully, saute for another 5 minutes on medium heat stirring occasionally to ensure that the sauce does not burn
Serve with your quinoa + rice and broccoli and ENJOY!!
🍃 Please let me know if you try this recipe and don’t forget to tag @PhillyVegalGal on Instagram if you post! 🍃