Chicken adobo, known as a fail-proof soy sauce and vinegar chicken. I’ve had chicken adobo at Filipino restaurants and always felt it was a little too tangy for my palette, so today I’ll teach you how to make Chicken Adobo with a twist, the twist being potatoes! Who doesn’t like potatoes! The starchiness works really well with this dish and the best part is it can all be cooked in one pot!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 12 Pieces of Chicken Drumsticks
- Garlic, Salt, and Pepper Seasoning
- 2 tbsp of grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1/6 cup of light soy sauce
- 1/6 cup of dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 red small onions, cut into fours
Note: Light and dark soy sauce is not the same as regular soy sauce that you use at Sushi restaurants to dip your sashimi in. Light and dark soy sauce can be found at asian super markets like 99 Ranch or H Mart.
- Pat dry chicken and rub generously with garlic, salt, and pepper seasoning on the drumsticks
- Turn the Instant Pot on high saute and oil and add 6 drumsticks into the the instant pot to brown them. I used a 6-quarts Instant Pot and it took approximately 8 minutes to brown them. Then removed the browned drumsticks and add the next 6 drumsticks in and do the same thing
- After all drumsticks are browned and nothing is in the pot add onion into the bottom of the pot and after add the drumsticks back in. In a bowl mix the garlic, soy sauces, vinegar, and sugar. Then add the potatoes and add the soy sauce mixture into the pot
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and place on the vent on closed and put it on high pressure for 8 minutes. After it’s done manually release the pressure of the pot. Once the steam stops, open the pot and remove all the chicken and potato
- Then put the pot on saute mode and let the sauce in the pot thicken in the pot for 15 minutes. Afterwards you can put the sauce back on the chicken and potatoes
Bon Apetite! Share your thoughts and let me know if you’ve tried this recipe and if you liked it!